Saturday, November 27, 2010

Good Golly Miss

Molly!

005 Meet the newest addition to my Baby Bro and S.I.L.’s household.  Molly is 3 months old and is the new dog in the cathouse.  Fortunately she was brought up around cats and leaves the cats alone except for trying to get one of the three of them to play with her.

004 And just what is it about a dog’s paw that is so fascinating?  Perhaps the Frito smell that they all seem to have or it could be just the wonderful mixture of textures.  I don’t have a clue, I just think they are wonderful mixture of  utility and beauty.  Oh, well… You all know I’m a little strange by now and this is one of the odd things I find very appealing.

I’m in Fort Worth at Ben and Diane’s.  My youngest sib and his wife.  Ben traditionally works on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day to give other doctors who might have family to visit that require travel an extra day off.  Since both of our parents and both of Diane’s parents are gone Ben and Diane do Thanksgiving usually on the Saturday after.  That way their kids can feel comfortable about visiting their spouse’s family and be able to give thanks for all of our blessings and share a meal with whomever can get here to visit.   In other words, we are blessed with more than one Thanksgiving repast.

Speaking of which…

stuff and Thanksgiving 2010 311 The cooks did a wonderful job at our house…

stuff and Thanksgiving 2010 312 Jeff is practicing and loosening up his jaw muscles for the feast.  No, actually he was getting the dressing out of the stove for his mom and touched his finger to something hot and I just happened to be taking pictures at the time and I got this photo.  He will probably kill me for it but if he gives me grief I’ll tell him I’m going to post it on FaceBook if he messes with me, the ‘Other Mother’, too much.

.Datha photos 013 Carol and our friend Datha… both are wonderful cooks.  I asked Datha to come and play at our house for Thanksgiving and then to pup sit my girls so I can make the quick run to Ft. Worth for the weekend.

Datha photos 005 Carol’s sister baked the turkey and a turkey breast because the turkey Carol got was smaller than usual and she wanted to make sure that all of us white meat eaters had plenty to eat.

Datha photos 007 Now that’s a beautiful bird and it was so moist.  I have to give credit where credit is due. 

Datha photos 008Dressing… I’m not a big fan of dressing but thought I’d share what was on the menu with you all.

  Datha photos 009Soul sweet potatoes.  This is probably my second favorite of the holiday dishes that Carol makes for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Oh, boy, this stuff is good and I don’t even care for sweet potatoes except for this and sweet potato pie.

Datha photos 010 Spanish green beans…  Tomatoes, onion, bacon, green beans and a bit of cayenne to give it some ‘hello mama’ kick. We also had mashed potatoes and my favorite, giblet gravy but I didn’t take pictures of that.  I swear I could put it in a cup and drink it if I had the chance.  Our friend Scotty also brought over 2 pecan pies, a pumpkin pie and a black walnut pie.

Datha photos 016 Jeff and the girls.  One for each hand.  I love this young man. He is the closest thing I’ve ever had to a child and he is delightful.  Grumpy, very talented, dry wit with a hint (or more) of sarcasm but he is a good guy and very helpful to his mom and his ‘other mother’.Datha photos 003  This is the bunch of us that shared in our wonderful dinner. L-R-Yours truly, Carol, Jeff, Datha and Carol’s sister Nancy behind her and Scotty and the four-legged one is SueSue making sure there was no turkeys other than us on the floor.

I’ll try to get photos to share with you all on my second Thanksgiving, tomorrow… well, actually today since it is four in the morning and I’m having trouble sleeping but that’s another story for another day.  I’m going to turn off the light and try to get a little sleep before helping get the food going for one o’clock lunch.

10 comments:

hetty said...

Cute dog! I love your Thanksgiving Day photos. Enjoy your trip to Ft. Worth. And for gosh sake girl, get some sleep. You'll never be able to fight off that triptophan high after eating all that turkey!

Sara said...

I have a big black lab sleeping at my feet right now. My daughter's dog. A great way to relax after feeding 34 people for dinner this afternoon.

Looks like you had a terrific holiday!

Reddirt Woman said...

Hetty I always have trouble sleeping the first night I get down here. We always try to catch up on everything that has transpired since our last visit and I haven't been down for a visit since last May. I usually manage to come visit every three months so we had more to catch up on and I went off and forgot my meds and so it was double trouble for me getting sleep last night.

Oh, wow, Sara... 34 people. Makes me think of when we were growing up. I was one of six, my mom had four sibs, three of which lived to an age to have their families and my dad was one of eight and several of the sibs lived in OKC for a number of years so we always had a boat-load of people for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. We had 25 if I counted right today and at Christmas there will be close to what you fed today. I know it's a lot of work for the cook but it's so much fun to visit and play catch up with everyone.

Laura~peach~ said...

looks wonderful and like a great time was had by all! :) cant wait to see more!

Tatersmama said...

I Know! There's just something about the smell of a dog's paws... Do you know you're the only person I've known who's said that they smell like Fritos - and that's what I've alwaya thought!

Now with the dressing/stuffing. What you don't want to eat, can you stick it in an envelope and mail to me? On second thought... could you make it a box. I LOVE dressing and would happily eat it - and nuthin' else!! ;)

I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinners... both of 'em!

Terry said...

Howdy Helen
Can we say ahhhhhhhhhhhhh .
Paws are a weakness for me and I can't resist them any more than playing with little baby toes :)
Hope all is going well .Just rode by to touch base before life gets really crazy again.
I am so glad you had a good time who wouldn't with all that great company an delicious food :)LOL
Take care now
Until next time
Happy Trails

Ness said...

I have a black Lab granddog named Molly! Your Molly is adorable and the pics of food have made me hungry!

Sharon Rose said...

Carol, it's great to visit here! Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Great pictures. . . they all make me hungry. . .so, I settled for ordering pizza for us, since there is no chance of Turkey and dressing with the fixins, tonight.

xoxo,
Sharon

Nola said...

I love my dogs paws too! Great to catch up...I have been a slack blogger!

Anonymous said...

Hi, i just want to say hello to the community