Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This, Helen Gardner, Is Some Of Your Life...


It's a bit past due, quit laffin' Dar, but after much meditation and many scenarios, I decided that 100 Things about me was fair enough to be requested. The proviso is if I'm going to do this, I am going to do this with the help of photos. To the left is moi at about 2 1/2.

You see I get embarrassed talking about myself, but by using pictures I'm only telling a story. It will be about thing in my life, but the pictures could be my props and it won't seem like I'm braggin' about ma-self, don't cha' know.

And feel lucky if you get 10 at a time, cause I did 10 for Honest Scrap and it about wore me out, so be knowing I has to has a break for a while after spilling my guts. So here goes...

1. I was born and reared in Okla. City. This photo was taken at my Aunt Macks and Uncle Bud's place at S.E. 15 and High. More later on them.

2. I have a birthmark on my butt. No photo ---yet.

3. I have flannel flamingo pjs.

4. I've always wanted to live on a beach

5. I'm legally blind so must wear glasses at all times when I'm out of bed because I literally have been know to walk into posts... and apologize.

6. I learned to ride a bike, my oldest sister's when I was about 4. There was no way I could even get close to the seat, except in the middle of my back because it was a big girl bike. So I stood and peddled and steered hanging on to handlebars above my head. Now they call 'em 'ape hangers'.

7.That was the summer I was bitten in the face by my aunt and uncle's farm dog. Scared hell out of everyone but me. Head wounds bleed bad and, yes, even 60 years later I still have scars, one on my bottom lip and another in my left eyebrow.

8. This was also the summer that my Uncle Bud tried to teach me to milk a cow, but I didn't get very good until I was about 6 because my hands were chubby little things and not very strong.

9. I started washing dishes when I was about 5. Mom would set the kitchen stool up to the sink for me and let me wash the silverware and non-breakables. I was a big help, I just know I was.


10. I loved school. I was so excited to get started in kindergarten because then I be a big girl like my two older sisters. Tried to put these three photos side - by- side but blogger has ideas of it's own... These 3 were taken on my first day of kindergarten and I was so excited to go to school that I could hardly be still. I don't know why the photos are the way they are... perhaps I ought to google Google to try to fix the problem... or would we find that it would be an exercise in futility. I have figured out that Google sometimes has a mind of it's own and I wonder if his name is "Hal". (name that movie) (L. click = Bigger)

11 comments:

Nola said...

I soooooo want to see a photo of your butt!!!!
Very interesting...well done:)

kim-d said...

You, Helen Gardner, were such a cute little girl! I chuckled at your bike story because when I was right about that same age, I taught myself to ride my bike by taking it to the top of a hill, hopping on and taking off. The end result was not pretty. BAAAAD road rash :)!

And now I want flamingo jammies.

Twisted Fencepost said...

I giggled when I pictured you sprawled out on that bike!
Warn me before you decide to post the birthmark phote. Please! tee hee

Laura ~Peach~ said...

awwww you are a cute little gal!
its not blogger per say its scanned photos ... you have to crop them to make them fit right without all the blank space... took me FOREVER to figure that one out!
I had one of those banana seat bikes with the great ape hangars and loved it ... was green with daisys all over it... seems like it at one time had a basket on the front too...

darsden said...

Too cute Helen, I think I have the same picture of me serious I think I had that same dress.
As you know I didn't care for school too much. But I remember being really excited for the first day of first grade, then my bubble was burst when mama wouldn't let me wear my brothers cub scout uniform to school...it was down here from there. If she'd only would have let me...I might have made the next 11 years easier on her...LOL Thanks for sharing! I was wondering where you were!

joanne said...

This is so sweet Helen. I'm so glad you decided to 'share.' The photos are soooo cute (I have the same problem with blogge. I've also got a birthmark on my butt...I wonder if we're related!!

DocSly said...

Helen, this is a great idea. It lets us know a little more about you.

Lisa said...

I just love seeing old photos of people and their lives. And I love hearing the stories. Can't wait to see/hear the next 10!

hetty said...

You were such a cutie! Don't worry about the butt photo, but I would like to see the flamingo pjs.

Robynn's Ravings said...

What a CUTIE!!!! I LOVE that photo. And I can wait for that photo of the birthmark! lol

Tipper said...

You were sooo stinking cute!! I like peeking into the life of Helen!