Saturday, November 8, 2008

I think I'll play along...



Seems like there have been several blogs that I've read this week that were a little of this and a little of that and my week has been a little bit of this and a little bit of that, so that is what you are going to get in this post.

This first little bit is what took up most of my day today. My niece called me from Dallas at 7 A. frickken M. Her Great Dane, Madeline, had started birthin' babies and her husband was freaking.

He had never helped birth babies, Nancy Lu was at a seminar and while she got back in 4 1/2 hours, she hadn't ever helped birth babies. So the frantic call went out for some mutt mid-wifery... i.e. AUNT HELEN----HELP...

So I thru on some clothes, grabbed my meds and cookies to help get 'em down with the assistance of Diet Pepsi and took off for OKC. 40 minutes later I bail out of the car and run into the house and Steve (Nance's hubs) said, "I am so glad you are here. I went out to feed Maddy (the mom) and Max (the dad) and noticed that neither one had eaten and upon investigation, while checking out Maddy's fat belly, it was alive.

It looked like those babies were rolling around in there and it freaked me out. Then I discovered that she had 3 and had laid on them to keep 'em warm and squashed them.'' (1st time mother).


By the time I got to the house, two of the kids and their significant others and their kids had gotten there and they had gotten Maddy in the house into her wading pool birthin' bed and Steven had settled down. I got in the swimmin' pool (kiddie sized) and started checking out mom.

She had 4 living pups by the time I got there and it was soon apparent another was on the way. They let my great neice Chloe (who will be 9 on Monday) watch since I was there and she got to see the next pup come out in it's bubble and was just awed how Maddy tore the sac and chewed the cord and cleaned the baby. She had a lot of questions and I was able to answer all but one... can a momma dog have twins? meaning two babies in one bubble. I told her I hadn't heard of it but I would find out.


Maddy had 7 living pups and only needed help with the last one. His sac had busted and I had to make sure when the contraction stopped that he didn't get sucked back in where he couldn't breathe. Steve and the rest of them decided that they would have freaked out and probably not been able to save the little guy. One of my nieces videod that birth and that was good because next time they birth babies they will all know what to do.

I'm officially whooopppped out.

Thurs. night Bro and I drove to Ft. Worth, got up Friday morning and got my nephew's trailer and loaded as much stuff as we could in my pick up and in the 6' X12' lawn equipment trailer and drove back home. Didn't get home until about 8:30 that night and was exhausted, so when the call came at God-thirty this morning to go help birth puppies...... GROAN. But I couldn't not go and let my kids worry.

I'm so tired I'm going about this backward. I'll post some more puppy pics tomorrow, and a couple of sky shots that I took earlier in the week, too.

Good night... and oh, yeah... OU whooped Texas A&M!!

2 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

awww puppies... I was traumatized at 16 when our collie had pups... they were not feeding well so we had to bottle feed ... one choked and died in my hands... he was too tiny to survive but still.... broke my teen aged heart.
cool deal and what a wonderful rescue of the dog and KIDS :D
Hugs Laura

Lisa said...

Oh, nothing better than bringing loved and wanted puppies into this world. What a joy. We delivered 7 boxers in our living room c-section with the vet. It was way cool, but I had worked for a vet while I was in college so no big thing to me. and yes, OU did whip up on A&M. Hope the same is said of Texas Tech and OSU. Even though I do love my Cowboys, I want OU to win big this year. Dang that other Texas team! Curse them, curse them all I say. I do love my Sooners!